Frequently asked questions
Find answers to frequently asked questions regarding Dorotheum.
If your question is not answered here, please contact our client service:
Mon - Fri, 9.00am - 6.00pm
Tel. +43-1-515 60-200, Fax -508
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Search
myDOROTHEUM is our client area and makes it possible for you to receive information about Dorotheum’s auction offerings, in a manner that is individually tailored to your needs.
Register for free and benefit from a number of additional functions:
- the creation of search profiles and automatic e-mail notifications as soon as works of art or other objects come up for auction. We will inform you by e-mail, either automatically or in person, if an item you are looking for remains unsold in our auction. This information is provided only once after the auction.
- Convenient placing of online absentee bids: information given at registration will be automatically entered into your bid.
- Use of our notification function. You will be notified automatically about the publication of new online catalogues and/or reminded about auctions in which you have expressed an interest - you can also choose to receive auction results lists for auctions of your choice.
- Monitoring of objects (enter the objects in which you are interested in your account)
- An overview of your purchases, absentee bids, catalogue subscriptions and consignments at Dorotheum (Please note that this feature has a separate security setting, including proof of identity). More information can be found under the menu item “My client account”.
- Participation in online auctions (for this function, too, a separate activation, including proof of identity, is necessary)
Politically exposed person (PEP) is a high-ranking domestic or foreign public official/politician or manager of a public or state-owned enterprise who is or was entrusted with important public functions. This includes family members of these persons as well as persons known to be close to PEP.
- A PEP may have been entrusted with the following public functions (also on community or international level): heads of state, heads of government, ministers and deputy ministers, assistant ministers, important representatives of political parties, ambassadors, members of parliament, members of supreme courts, constitutional courts or other high-level judicial bodies (whose decisions are not subject to further appeal), members of boards of audit, members of the boards of central banks, chargés d'affaires and high-ranking officers in the armed forces, members of the administrative, management or supervisory bodies of state-owned enterprises, directors, deputy directors and members of the board or equivalent function of an international organisation.
- Family members of a PEP include: partners (spouses or persons considered to be equivalent to a spouse), children and their partners (spouses or persons considered to be equivalent to a spouse) and parents.
- Persons known to be associates to a PEP include: any private person who is known to have joint beneficial ownership of legal entities or legal arrangements, or any other close business relations with a PEP, or any private person who has sole beneficial ownership of a legal entity or legal arrangement which is known to have been set up for the de facto of the PEP.
If you would like to use the additional functions, you need to register - it is a quick process, and free of charge.
Go to “myDOROTHEUM“ and click on “register for free”. Fill in the form with your personal information.
You can specify your areas of interest on the second page of the registration.
You will then receive information about these (online catalogues, auction reminders, results lists).
Please complete your registration by clicking on “create account” or “register without interests”. This button is below the area where you can select your interests.
On completion of registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail sent to the e-mail address supplied by you. You will be asked to confirm receipt of the e-mail by clicking on the link given and your account will be activated. You will then have access via your username and password to the MyDorotheum functions.
Subsequent approval is required for the “my customer account” function and to enable bidding in online auctions.
- Please ensure that you have completed all obligatory fields. These are marked with *.
- The password must be at least 8 characters long, must include at least one lowercase and one uppercase letter, as well as at least one number.
- You can only register once for myDOROTHEUM with a particular email address. If you already have a myDOROTHEUM account associated with the email address you have provided, please use a different email address.
- Have you completed your registration? On the second page of the application, where you can state your areas of interest, you must complete your registration by clicking on “create account” or “register without interests”. This button is below the area where you can select your interests.
- On completion of registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail to the e-mail address supplied by you. You will need to confirm your registration by clicking on the link in this email.
If you are still having problems with registration, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.
Please click here to be sent your log-in details.
Your log-in details will be emailed to you once you have entered your email address.
There is a “forgotten your password?” link under the fields in which you can enter your user name, email address and password.
Please log in to “myDOROTHEUM” and click on “change password” in the menu under "myDOROTHEUM".
There is also a link under “personal details” under myDOROTHEUM - underneath the form containing your details.
Please log in to “myDOROTHEUM” and select “personal details” under “myDOROTHEUM”.
Thank you for keeping your details up to date.
You can do this under the “Personal details” menu in myDOROTHEUM. At the bottom of the form with your details there is a link that states “Click here to delete your myDOROTHEUM membership”.
You can input your interests during registration .
Of course, you can also change your interests, or add to them, at any point.
Please log in to “myDOROTHEUM” and navigate to the menu option of “my interests”. Select the categories you are interested in by clicking on the appropriate fields.
Catalogues: as soon as an online catalogue is published on our home page, you will receive a notification by e-mail.
Dates of auctions: in good time before an auction of items in your field of interest, we will remind you about the date of the approaching auction.
Auction results: we let you know when the results of an auction are published online.
With the help of the myDOROTHEUM search function you can target your search for items of interest to you.
A special feature is that you can save any number of searches in your search profile after you have registered. By being added to your search profile, your search remains active. If an item is added which matches your search criteria, you will automatically be informed - you will receive an e-mail notification with a link to the item. In this way you are able conveniently to keep an eye on what we have to offer, you save time and can rely on never missing an item.
The myDOROTHEUM search function searches all auctions and item descriptions according to the search terms you enter.
The following points offer useful information on how to target your search even more precisely.
The “Advanced search” link can be found on the search page. You can enter detailed settings for your search.
You can use this function even before registering with myDOROTHEUM.
Including all words:
Only those items will be shown which contain all of the terms in their descriptive texts (= standard setting)
Example: A search for “decorated plate porcelain Meißen” searches for decorated porcelain plates by the Meißen factory. You will be shown those items which contain all of these words - in any order - in their descriptive texts.
Including the exact wording:
Items will be shown which contain exactly the term which you enter.
Example: A search for “Gustav Klimt” only brings up items in whose descriptive text exactly that term appears. “Klimt Gustav” or “G. Klimt” would not be brought up.
With any of these words:
All items will be shown which have at least one of the words used in the search terms employed.
Example: A search for “decorated plate porcelain Meißen” would bring up the many items which have at least one of the search terms in their descriptive texts. This is probably the least precise search result.
in this mode you can define your own search and limit the search results according to your own purposes. Please use the formats that are customary with search engines (* as wildcard, the minus sign to exclude specific domains etc.)
Excluding words in a search:
Enter in this field the words which are not to appear in the description of an object.
In these categories:
You can limit your search to any particular category. A standard search searches all categories.
Your search will be limited to those items that fall within the price range you indicate. The price range refers to the starting or the estimated price - depending on the auction.
Our catalogues are always in German, and a majority are also available in English. You can choose which version you wish to be searched.
If your search brings up no results, this can be due to one of the following reasons:
- You have chosen to use another spelling - check this and alter it if that is the case (e.g.: if you get no result with “Meissen”, try again with “Meißen”).
- Your search term is too narrow or too specialised. Choose a broader term (e.g.: if “St. Mark’s Square in Venice at dusk” brings up no results, try “St. Mark’s Square”).
- You have combined too many terms. Remove the specialist terms.
- The item for which you are searching is not available in any of our current auctions. In such a case you can arrange to be kept informed by us as soon as such an item appears online. Please save your search term or terms. Information about new matches found by myDOROTHEUM will be automatically sent to you by e-mail. Please note that some specialist auctions may only take place once or twice a year at times, and that for this reason nothing may be offered to match your searches for some time.
In order to save your search, you must register with myDOROTHEUM.
In addition to using the search function and inputting the artist’s name as the search term, the “Service” menu has a link to “Artists”, which offers a list of selected artists. Here, you can either input a name directly into the search template, or look for it using the alphabetical list.
Your will then be shown a list of the artist’s works that are currently up for auction at Dorotheum, or which have previously been auctioned by Dorotheum.
If you want to save a search, perform the search you require, and then click on “Save this search” on the results page. You will then be able to give your search a name. Click on “Save”, and your search will be stored in “My Searches” in myDOROTHEUM. You will be automatically notified by email if new search results are found.
You need to have previously registered with myDOROTHEUM in order to use this function.
Under the “My Searches” menu in myDOROTHEUM you can edit the searches you have saved.
Every search you save has links to “change” or “delete” it. Use these links to edit your search, or delete it if you no longer have need for it.
If you are interested in a particular item and would like to keep an eye on it, you can add it to the list of items you are following to make it easier to find.
In our online catalogues, you will find a “Follow” link near each item, both in the list and the detailed view. If you would like to follow an item (that is, mark it so that you can find it quickly when you next visit the Dorotheum website), please click on this link.
Objects on your watch list are marked by an eye symbol.
The items you have saved in this way can be called up quickly and simply under “Followed offers” in the myDOROTHEUM menu.
In addition, a couple of days before the corresponding auction, you will also receive an email informing you that one of the items you are following will be auctioned soon. If the object in question is not sold in this auction, we will inform you per e-mail, either automatically or in person, after the auction. This information is provided only once after the auction.
If you do not want to follow an item any more, you can delete this from your list by clicking “Delete”. You can also stop following current items (items that form part of current auctions) by clicking on the eye symbol.
By deleting a lot from your watch list, your email notifications ahead of the auction will also be deactivated.
Notification of search hits
An automated e-mail notification is activated when you save a search. Your search profile searches our auction offerings and informs you by e-mail whenever a new item matching your saved criteria comes up for auction.
as soon as an online catalogue is published on our home page, you will receive a notification by e-mail.
a few days before an auction of items in your field of interest, we will remind you about the date of the approaching auction.
we let you know when the results of an auction are published online.
Your followed offers
a few days before an auction, we will remind you by e-mail that an object from your watch list is coming up for auction. We will also remind you by e-mail, either automatically or in person, after the auction that this object has not been sold. This information is provided only once after the auction.
You need to have previously registered with myDOROTHEUM to receive the aforementioned notifications.
You can alter your chosen categories under “Interests”. You can either edit or delete them. After making your edits, please save your new settings so that we can apply them.
You can edit or delete search notifications in the “My Searches” menu. You can also deactivate myDOROTHEUM email notifications via the “Personal details” menu in myDOROTHEUM. At the bottom of the form there is an option to “Disable email notification”, next to the “Update profile now” button. If you want to stop following an item, you can remove it from your list by clicking “Delete”. If you delete your account, you will not receive any more notifications.
“My client account” is an additional feature in your myDOROTHEUM account. To use this, a separate security setting, including identity verification is required.
After access is granted, “My client account” offers you the opportunity to access daily updated information about your Dorotheum cosignments, purchases, absentee bids, order information and subscribed catalogues online at any time.
Click on the menu item “My client account” in your myDOROTHEUM account and enter your customer number in the registration form. You will receive this automatically as soon as you submit an absentee bid, make a purchase, carry out a consignment or complete a catalogue subscription with Dorotheum. If our customer service has already saved your customer number in your online account, then it will automatically be transferred to the form.
In addition to the form, a copy of an official photo ID must be submitted. You may attach it directly to the form or send it by fax or e-mail to the contact address given on the form. Corporate Accounts are also required to submit an excerpt of the commercial register, which proves the signatory powers of the person registering.
The history of purchases, absentee bids and payment information are shown a year back from the current date, as well as all currently running catalogue subscriptions. Consignments that are fully completed will be displayed until at least a year back.
What will not be displayed are all activities at Dorotheum Prague, or absentee bids, purchases and payment information at Dorotheum in the automotive sector (except for the Vösendorf branch).
The displayed data indicates, respectively, the status from the previous day.
More information about the displayed data can be obtained (in most cases) by moving the cursor over the column headings.
For almost all of your purchases bought in an auction during the last 365 days, you can retrieve a PDF with an image, description and details about the auction and experts. This service begins after activating the menu “My client account”. Items that have been previously purchased are not included.
You can choose whether an item fact sheet can be created with or without a sales price. The PDF can be viewed, saved or printed.