Lot No. 313


Ernst Graner


(Werdau, Saxony 1865–1943 Vienna)
Am Hof square in Vienna, signed E. Graner, Watercolor on paper laid down on cardboard, 65 x 101 cm, framed, (Hu)

„Am Hof“ is one of the historically most significant squares of Vienna’s inner city. It was part of the Roman army camp Vindobona and later the location of the residence of the Babenberger dynasty under Heinrich Jasomirgott. From 1340 onwards the square was the site where markets took place, whose tradition is nowadays living on in antiques markets in summer and Advent markets in winter. Vienna’s civic Zeughaus, the so-called „Ledererhaus“ and the house „Zur Goldenen Kugel“ are the most notable buildings in the square. The former building of the k. k. (Royal and Imperial) war council, which in 1915 became the headquarters of Länderbank and subsequently the one of Bank Austria, has been used as a luxury hotel since 2014 and is seen on the watercolour’s right. A fragmentary view of the eqestrian monument executed by Caspar von Zumbusch of field marshal Feldmarschall Radetzky on the watercolour’s left was moved in 1912 to the new location in front of the new building of the war ministry on Stubenring.

Specialist: Dr. Brigitte Huck Dr. Brigitte Huck
+43-1-515 60-378

19c.paintings@dorotheum.at

03.04.2020 - 15:44

Realized price: **
EUR 12,800.-
Starting bid:
EUR 3,600.-

Ernst Graner


(Werdau, Saxony 1865–1943 Vienna)
Am Hof square in Vienna, signed E. Graner, Watercolor on paper laid down on cardboard, 65 x 101 cm, framed, (Hu)

„Am Hof“ is one of the historically most significant squares of Vienna’s inner city. It was part of the Roman army camp Vindobona and later the location of the residence of the Babenberger dynasty under Heinrich Jasomirgott. From 1340 onwards the square was the site where markets took place, whose tradition is nowadays living on in antiques markets in summer and Advent markets in winter. Vienna’s civic Zeughaus, the so-called „Ledererhaus“ and the house „Zur Goldenen Kugel“ are the most notable buildings in the square. The former building of the k. k. (Royal and Imperial) war council, which in 1915 became the headquarters of Länderbank and subsequently the one of Bank Austria, has been used as a luxury hotel since 2014 and is seen on the watercolour’s right. A fragmentary view of the eqestrian monument executed by Caspar von Zumbusch of field marshal Feldmarschall Radetzky on the watercolour’s left was moved in 1912 to the new location in front of the new building of the war ministry on Stubenring.

Specialist: Dr. Brigitte Huck Dr. Brigitte Huck
+43-1-515 60-378

19c.paintings@dorotheum.at


Buyers hotline Mon.-Fri.: 9.00am - 6.00pm
kundendienst@dorotheum.at

+43 1 515 60 200
Auction: Master Drawings, Prints before 1900, Watercolours, Miniatures
Date: 03.04.2020 - 15:44
Location: Vienna | Palais Dorotheum
Exhibition: online


** Purchase price incl. charges and taxes

It is not possible to turn in online buying orders anymore. The auction is in preparation or has been executed already.